Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 3: 1 Nephi 17 - 1 Nephi 22

Obedience brings power. 

Nephi is commanded to build a ship and in so doing his brothers are livid with him.  I asked myself why would they be so upset?  

18And thus my brethren did acomplain against me, and were desirous that they might not labor, for they did not bbelieve that I could build a ship; neither would they believe that I was instructed of the Lord.

Ahhh.. now I get it.  They didn't want to do the work.  Nephi is commanded but he is not doing this alone.  He has everyone help him.  How many times when my father asked me to do something and I wasn't on board with this because why?  I didn't want to do the work because I didn't think it was revelant to me.  Except it was. 

I love the power of Nephi's testimony.  He quoted scripture and teachings of other prophets and leaders that were told to do hard things and were supported by the Lord because of their obedience.  

They were so blessed to come to a land Bountiful where food was plentiful and seeds were in abundance as they prepared for the sojourn on the sea. 

How easily they forgot their blessings and indulged in mistreating yet again Nephi.  It's such a pattern that is very obvious in reading at this rate.  Through this.. I see patterns in my life.  I know when things are going good how easily it is to set aside the things true things that brought the good to pass.  I know how it feels to repent for this and hopefully try again.  

So many trials this family faces, yet they still stay together as a family.  We are blessed with this knowledge of obedience is power.  The Lord told Nephi to make another set of plates.  That must not have been easy, yet Nephi obeyed.  

And because of his obedience, we have this Book of Mormon that helps us in our everyday lives.  Helps change lives and bring children closer to their Heavenly Father.  He loves us so much.  Everything that is done, is done for our good.  For our profit.  For our learning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment